[Gllug] GPG key expiry

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 3 12:48:20 UTC 2002

>My GPG key expires at the end of this month.  What is the way to work
>with this expiry?  I could just extend the deadline and re-issue my
>key but I want to make a bigger key -- the current one is only 1024
>bits -- to take into account potential future advances in factoring.

Future advances in factoring (if they ever happen) will involve a
non-brute force technique. Increasing key length won't help with
that at all. What it will help with is protecting you against future
advances in computing power. It will make it harder to brute force,
but to be honest, 1024 bits is almost certainly secure for the
forseeable future. Note that 2048 bits is essentially secure forever,
assuming no fundamental advances in factoring algorithms (there
isn't enough energy in the universe to brute force factor a 2048 bit
number).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk