[Gllug] GPG key expiry

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Jul 3 13:05:24 UTC 2002

On Wed 03 Jul, tet at accucard.com made the following spurious claims:

> Future advances in factoring (if they ever happen) will involve a
> non-brute force technique. Increasing key length won't help with
> that at all.

Agree on the first, disagree on the second assertion.  Any major
advance will involve something that will break all existing public key
crypto algorithm that relies on factors, regardless of key length.
However, there have been constant incremental advances in factoring
algorithms.  No major breakthroughs, just constantly chipping away at
the problem.

This, coupled with increases in computing power, are why I want to
increase my key length to 2048.  For anyone using GPG on anything
faster than an abacus, the difference won't even be noticable.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics
with bloodshed.

- Mao Tse-tung