[Gllug] digital camera

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 21:34:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:04:04PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:

Ok, I just got a Canon powershot A40 from amazon where it is on offer for 200
quid atm (rrp 260). Takes AA batteries which is a + but you will most likely
want to get a NiMH charger which will be around 20 quid including batteries.
The camera is about the same size as a medium sized 35mm compact but quite
heavy as it has 4AAs in it. Oh also the A40 allows you to add a wide angle
lens adaptor (24mm equiv) and also a telephoto adaptor (300mm i think) which
are about 80 quid each so it is nice and flexible.

Main problem at the moment is to make it work under Linux I will need to modify
part of the source for gphoto but then it is the case of adding the USB id so I
guess support will be coming soon in gphoto. Of course you could always get a
USB compact flash reader and do it that way.

The camera also does exposure compensation and lets you set shutter manually
and apeture but this is fixed at either f2.8-45 and f8-14 at 35mm and 105mm
respectively, oh and it has a macro mode.

> Questions:
>
> * What is the 'speed' of a digital camera, in terms that I can understand -- ie an ASA rating ?

the canon A40 does ISO 50 - 100 - 200 and 400.

> * What is the equivalent of focal length (ie zoom/wide_angle) for these things ?

35 - 105 mm equivalent

> * What format do these things tend deliver pictures (gif/jpg/...) ?

jpg on mine.

> * They seem to have memory cards that you plug in, what standards are there ?

smart media or compact flash, i just bought 128Mb of compact flash that will do
about 128 1600x1200 pictures on it for about 35 quid as the supplied 8Mb is a
bit useless.

> * Suggestions for where to get one - say Dixons & I will come & thump you.

Amazon for the A40 at the moment as i havn't seen it cheaper than 200 quid.

> * Any other questions ?

ummmm, i sound like a Canon advert atm....

Adam
--
"Step away from the Cathedral, This Bazaar is loaded"
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk