[Gllug] Outdoor web-cams

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 17:04:32 UTC 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Jim Bailey wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 08:54:14PM +0100, Formi wrote:
> >

> >  I've been to the charity today, and saw a cctvbudget.doc,
> >  I didn't read it, not my business but I assume getting
> >  cctv ain't cheap.
>
> Depends on what you want.
> >
> >  Would cheap web-cams survive outside? Could they just be
> >  put inside a waterproof box?
> >
> This is the difference between cheap cams and expensive ones a good CCTV
> camera will show something in detail enough to get a positive ID, a bad one
> will show a blurred image or a dark image, no ID no conviction, guy comes
> back 3 months later after the insurance payout, does the same again...
>
> >  I'm thinking about moisture entering between the lenses..
> >
> Test the above senario first if your cheap cam does the job weather
> proofing should be fairly straight forward.
>
> >  We would need about 3, I guess could be hooked up to an
> >  old pc, and use one of the many spare 14" we have around.
> >
> Route the stuff over the internet to a provincial out of hours service
> they cost less than London based services.  Have a motion sensor or
> equivalent attached if practical then they can alert the key holder if
> the system is triggered by a intruder.
>
> Peace Jim

 This is not a security all hours thing, we have one problem basically,
 the office is situated on a 3rd floor, so everytime we allow somebody
 we have to check that they come up.

 The two other floors are usually full of children, and their minders,
 and the social staff, we just need to identify how many people are
 entering the premises. That can be done by putting a camera off the
 office windows pointing to the door.

 The other cams would just monitor people moving between the 2 buildings.

 Over that distance shouldn't be a problem I guess, apart the web-cam
 would be vertically mounted pointed to a small area, so we can probably
 be able to get it done by putting it inside a plastic tube, wireless
 directional antenna style.

 Peace is what we want.    Thanks.

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 8.2 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk