[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 07:34:44 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 22:02, you wrote:
> Richard Cohen's description of making bootable CdRoms wasn't quite
> what I had in mind when I made the posting, but I found it very
> interesting. I would like to ask how difficult it would be to take a
> well known distro like Mandrake or Redhat and then take off a few
> files/ add a few files to create a bootable cdrom with some special
> interest files? The reason I am asking is because I'm thinking that
> this is what, amongst other things, the open source project I'm
> involved in called OIO - Open Infrastructure for Outcomes should be
> doing to promote more uptake. One of the main problems is difficulty
> with installation which requires ideally Apache, PostgreSQL, Zope and
> the OIO package to all be installed correctly. This, for the target
> audience of medics/ healthcare workers is asking a bit much.

Did anyone point you in the direction of the boot-floppy HOWTO?
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

I played around with this stuff about a year ago. I was trying to make
a bootable LS-120 with a fully-featured root filesystem. I hadn't been
using linux for very long, and needless to say, I failed. However from
what I remember all you need to do us uncompress the filesystem image
and mount it loopback. Then you can copy in whatever binaries you want.
Of course it is best if the are stripped. Plus you need to make sure
any libs they require are also included. There may be a setting in
there somewhere (a boot parameter?) that tells the kernel how big the
ramdisk is going to be. Obviously this needs to be reset to the correct
value.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk