[Gllug] ADSL

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 12:49:17 UTC 2002

Hi All,
I am considering taking the plunge into broadband internet for home use. From
reading the postings on this list, and consulting the adslguide.org website,
it appears to me that Plusnet annual subscription self install may be a good
option. I would be grateful for any advice regarding the pros and cons of
Plusnet in particular, but also for other possible contenders as well. I am
hoping to maybe attach a small network (one hardware firewall, one windows
pc, one Linux pc and a mobile pc). I have two NICs, a 4 unit hub and two
telephone lines and plenty of ethernet cable as well. So advice on modems and
other bits may be needed.
	As well as faster surfing, I quite like the idea of possibly being able to
run an Apache webserver of my own in the future, and also a Zope server.
Would such a service be capable of this? I note that the Plusnet mentioned
above provides a single fixed IP address.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards from Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk