[Gllug] ADSL

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 13:04:26 UTC 2002

Mark Preston wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am considering taking the plunge into broadband internet for home use. From
> reading the postings on this list, and consulting the adslguide.org website,
> it appears to me that Plusnet annual subscription self install may be a good
> option. I would be grateful for any advice regarding the pros and cons of
> Plusnet in particular, but also for other possible contenders as well. I am
> hoping to maybe attach a small network (one hardware firewall, one windows
> pc, one Linux pc and a mobile pc). I have two NICs, a 4 unit hub and two
> telephone lines and plenty of ethernet cable as well. So advice on modems and
> other bits may be needed.

I have used Plusnet for a couple of months now and they seem fine.  Pretty speedy, although I don;t
know how the speed of other providers would compare.  I had to call their support line once when I
was first getting going and they answered in a couple of minutes and the guy in the phone was using
a Linux machine.  That was about midnight, I believe on a Saturday.

I use IPcop (http://www.ipcop.org) on an old pentium 200 machine with a second hand Alcatel
Speedtouch USB and it works fine, although the Speedtouch does hang occaisionally (between 4 to 14
days).  Other than that it works well.  I use a 10baseT hub and run 3 machines (Linux/FreeBSD/win2k)
of it with no problems.  For better connection reliability I would not use the Speedtouch, but it
was cheap (£40 second hand) so it depends on what you need it for.

> 	As well as faster surfing, I quite like the idea of possibly being able to
> run an Apache webserver of my own in the future, and also a Zope server.
> Would such a service be capable of this? I note that the Plusnet mentioned
> above provides a single fixed IP address.
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> Regards from Mark Preston

I have a fixed IP address and I run a webserver (I port forward to a server inside the firewall at
the moment).

Hope this helps.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk