[Gllug] rpms is there an easier way?

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 11:55:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> Jim Bailey(jim at freesolutions.net)@Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:41:07AM +0100:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to download packages and install some stuff but I am
> > getting frustrated by dependency issues, the distro is Red Hat 7.3.
> > Could some one tell me if there is a set of commands that allows me to
> > pull down the dependencies I need with the package or do I need to keep
> > on playing chase the dependency all night?
> >
> > Peace Jim
>
> Judging by other responses, urpmi is a MDK thing, i'd thought it was a
> redhat thing, but i guess not.  Anyhow, its handy, and does the job for
> me.  You just configure some sources for it, either local or remote.
> run urpmi.update, and then urpmi <package>.
>
> I have'nt tried using a remote source yet, so i dont know how effecient
> it is, but it works find with my local cooker mirror.
>
> cant see why it'd be too MSK specific, so you should just be able to
> compile it up from source and give it a spin.
>
> -v

      urpmi is a set of perl scripts, that wrap around rpm, made by the
    mandrake.

  They are really useful, even though sometimes they stop and produce
 "unexpected messages", like package x is not installed. When I thought
 it was supposed to install the dependencies.

 Another unwellcomed thing is sometimes it installs parts that you didn't
 ask for and are not strictly needed.

 What I do usually thanks to having no fat pipe, is to get the complete
 set of cdroms with mdk, copy them to disk and then install, update, ...
 and return the cdroms to their owner.

 Updating from a remote location works the same as from a nfs share,
 during my christmas holydays, I updated all what I had on this laptop,
 in about 35 min. All that from a internet coffee run by a friend.
 300kb/s did the trick.

 My "server" had originally 7.2 and I have upgraded it up to 8.2, mind
 you a complete upgrade eats loads of memory(1), and takes ages.

 On a machine with 48Mb of ram, at some point was using near 100MB of
 swap.

  Not for the faint hearted,

  As with most things MDK, it works quite nicely if you are aware of
 a few things, like not installing linuxconf, avoiding those stupid
 wizards, and not being pig headed.

 (1) perl I suppose.

                                                     Formi.

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 8.2 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk