[Gllug] Stupid shell question

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Thu Jun 20 11:18:24 UTC 2002

John Hearns(John.Hearns at cern.ch)@Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:43:27PM +0200:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Emil Vaughan wrote:
>
> > Easiest way I would have thought is to make a bash alias using the same name
> > as the command, so that you can run a shell script which writes to a log and
> > then runs the command. That can be trivially defeated of course, but so can
> > Tet's method by a determined person.
> >
> > So the solution depends a great deal on what you are trying to acheive I
> > think.
>
> I was just having some idle thoughts (as usual).
>
> What I was thinking of is that we are deploying some new machines.
> There is a default set of software (RPMs) installed.
> We were just discussing at a meeting what if there was software missing
> which people normally use, and expect to be there on the new machines.
>
> I've looked at the sources for bash, and it would be very easy to
> put in a line to send a message to syslog (or wherever) when someone
> uses a command which is not found.
> But I would have to patch/recompile all the shells on the machine -
> (ash bash ksh tcsh zsh) and I don't think its worth the effort for
> the information we would get back.
> As I say, I was just idly wondering about a smarter way to do this.

I think LIDS would allow you to achieve this, but it'd probably be far
easier to just use SNARE instead.  As it has far less configuration to
make it work, and IIRC doesnt require a reboot.

http://www.lids.org
http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/Snare/

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc