[Gllug] leafnode and user news

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 14 22:49:07 UTC 2002

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:46:24 +0100
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] re: leafnode and user news
> From: itsbruce at uklinux.net
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 Bruce wrote:
> > Thank you, that certainly helps with understanding, but can'
> > someone' be say user 'bill' or 'fred' and how would he connect
> > to port 119.
> > Port 119 is the default for leafnode, so I have not needed to
> > put an optional parameter in leafnode's config file.
>
> Port 119 is also the default port for news, so any newsreader you
> point at localhost will attempt to connect to port 119 unless you
> specify some other port.
> As for who can connect, restrictions are by host, not user.  Check
> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to see if there is an entry in
> either for leafnode (and also look at the hosts_access and
> hosts_options manpages).  Debian typically blocks all access to
> leafnode in hosts.deny and allows localhost in hosts.allow.  In my
> experience this causes problems for a networked computer, which
> can be fixed either by removing all hosts.* entries for leafnode
> or adding the computers hostname to the hosts.allow entry for
> leafnode.

Now something has happened here. Admittedly I don't yet understand
much of this area.
/etc/hosts contains     "127.0.01 Arley localhost"
/etc/hosts.allow 	       "leafnode: 127.0.0.1"
/etc/hosts.deny          "ALL PARANOID" which I did not insert!
		        "leafnode: ALL"    I put 'leafnode: ALL EXCEPT LOCAL'
					(which I got from the install notes)

Initially, I said this box was a single user dial up one. Actually,
I have one disk with Debian and one with SuSE and a hub connects me
to a neighbours machine - he has an ADSL connection which he allows
me to use for large downloads ( kernel tarballs for example ). But I
only connect from SuSE - there is no network configuration through
Debian. In fact I cannot get mail from this link as my ISP is
unaware of its existence. So I assumed this could have no effect on
my problem with leafnode. Now, I wonder.

> > > Having properly configured leafnode, you should run fetchnews
> > > so it can download the list of groups available on the remote
> > > news server(s).
> > >
> > Ah, how do I do this (? run /usr/sbin/leafnode) and can I do it
> > from a nornal user account.
>
> You run fetchnews, not leafnode, and you have to do it as root.
> If I run fetchnews manually I always add -vvv as an option so I
> can see what is going on.  This is helpful because there are times
> when leafnode may take longer than usual (fetching group
> descriptions, say) and you otherwise have no indication whether it
> has crashed or is simply working hard.

I have been using fetchnews with -v to -vvvv, but the output doesn't
help me. Where commands are recognised I just get the following:-

	Arley:/home/john# /usr/sbin/fetchnews -vvf
	1.9.9: verbosity level is 2
	Trying to connect to news.clara.net ... connected.
	Getting all newsgroups from news.clara.net
	Reading all newsgroups failed.
	Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.clara.net

> [snip]

> > I've now found there is a program slrn which fetches as well as
> > reads and which I seem to understand better. I may end up using
> > this if it performs better from my point of view, but leafnode
> > first!
>
> I use slrn with leafnode - I was using leafnode before I switched
> to slrn.  On Debian, at least, slrn and slrnpull are separate
> packages.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm well into my seventies and greatly
enjoy trying to get some proficiency with computers and especially
running Debian ( still haven't managed to crash it! ), but I suffer
greatly from the lack of very basic understanding and the inability
to visualize things; data being stored, ports being opened, packets
flying around and so forth. Having been a bit of a pedant, the
language used is also often tiresome to me - took me sometime to
understand 'default' had the same meaning as what Book Clubs do
with the Editors Choice if you don't select something else.

My thanks,

john.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk