[Gllug] Official country code for Britain = GB or UK?

Tony Jago T.Jago at its.uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 13 06:34:45 UTC 2002

 Hi there, I found this message on google when I was searching for
 something completly different but I thought I would comment on it anyway
 :) The reason the irc server was called jello was that it was attached to
 a gel reader which scanned dna sequences from a gel-based sequencer. In
 any case thats the reason it got called jello. How do I know
 this? Because I was the one that named it and I was the one that was
 running the irc server at the time. We still have a irc server here at
 the University of Queensland (irc.uq.edu.au). Its not connected to any
 major networks at the moment but I believe it is the longest running irc
 server in australia.

 How time flys...

  Tony

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:41:33AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> But until DERA went semicommercial and changed their name to something
> stupid, they had a .gb domain.
>
> Only people I've ever heard of that did.
>

> I wish Australia had managed to get .oz...

FWIW, at one time (9 or 10 years ago) there were a number of .oz.au
domains
hanging around.  In fact it was subdomained to some extent (there was an
edu.oz.au at least).  For example, I remember the only undernet
(irc) server
in au for a long time was at the University of Queensland and was called
jello.qabc.uq.edu.oz.au.  Now that's a mouthful.  And a wierd one at that
since Australians call it jelly.  I think Melbourne Uni used oz.au as
well.

Hmm..

$ host -a www.uq.oz.au
www.uq.oz.au            CNAME   www.uq.edu.au
www.uq.edu.au           A       130.102.5.51

$ host -a oz.au
oz.au                   NS      munnari.oz.au
oz.au                   NS      ns.UU.NET
oz.au                   NS      mulga.cs.mu.oz.au
oz.au                   NS      dmssyd.nsw.cmis.CSIRO.au

I'm sure there used to be an "edu" in there before..

Pete

---
Tony Jago, System Administrator,        E-Mail: T.Jago at its.uq.edu.au
Server and Security Group,               Phone: +61 7 33654078
Information Technology Services,           Fax: +61 7 33654065
The University of Queensland.  Brisbane, Australia. 4072.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk