[Gllug] No video card - no boot?

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Sun Jun 16 21:22:22 UTC 2002

> I built a box - compiled my own kernel on top of RH 7.3 - to run on a low
> resources P160 box (32MB, 1.5GB). I was only interested in logging into it
> via ssh and only wanted it for a specific purpose.
>
> To remove the possibility of hardware conflicts, I removed the video card.
But
> then the machine refused to boot. Is this a common problem - ie do BIOSes
> expect a video card?

Its hard to imagine having a hardware conflict with the video card unless
you have a whole pile of extra weird and wonderful pci cards in there. Which
I doubt as you are only using it remotely. About the only thing you will
achieve by taking it out (apart from rendering it unbootable) is saving
power :-)
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk