[Gllug] Serial Ports

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Tue Jun 18 09:42:43 UTC 2002

Hi all

I have been given my ADSL gear and as expected the default IP address of the
router "D-Link 504" is not 192.168.0.1 as expected. I want to connect to it
using the serial port and the hyperterminal on windows is not an option as
it is causing TAPI errors so I am going to have a go using Linux.

Are there any good guides out there. I have seen loads of guides for ppp
over the serial port and for modems which do not really look like what I am
after. What I want is a script of some description with a config file for
setting the options for the serial console to the router. I have all the
required settings I just need a simple program that is easy enough to
configure that an edjit like me will not struggle with it. I have looked at
minicom but cannot see any decent guides (I will try "man minicom" when I
install it). I have also got a standard redhat install with X on the network
if there is anything on that that I can use.

Any pointers appreciated.
Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. +44 20 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.