[Gllug] Serial Ports

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Jun 18 10:01:43 UTC 2002

>Are there any good guides out there. I have seen loads of guides for ppp
>over the serial port and for modems which do not really look like what I am
>after. What I want is a script of some description with a config file for
>setting the options for the serial console to the router. I have all the
>required settings I just need a simple program that is easy enough to
>configure that an edjit like me will not struggle with it. I have looked at
>minicom but cannot see any decent guides (I will try "man minicom" when I
>install it). I have also got a standard redhat install with X on the network
>if there is anything on that that I can use.

Minicom should do everything you need. What problems have you been having
with it? Start it up, do <ctrl-a><o> and configure what you need. You may
need to start it up as "minicom -s" as root the first time you use it,
and then save the settings as default.

On Red Hat, you may also need to add an appropriate entry to
/etc/security/console.perms to ensure you're given appropriate
access to the serial port when you log in to the console.

One other point to bear in mind is that when using serial ports, you
should always specify them directly by name (e.g., /dev/ttyS0) rather
then via any symbolic links (e.g., /dev/modem), to help prevent
locking problems.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk