[Gllug] Problem with installing OpenOffice - STILL

Bernd Dittmann bernd_dittmann at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 00:34:36 UTC 2002

Hi,

tried it again tonight. Always the same problem:
The way I installed was as follow:

First of all I logged in to X as the user who wants
OpenOffice (have a couple of other users as well).

step1: unzip and untar it into /opt
step2: change into /install
step3: change to root and run ./setup

As root I got the message of not being able accesing
X, hence the complaint about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-key.

Funnily enough I can run the -/setup script as user.
Have then the whole stuff as under StarOffice.

Then I tried the methods below with the following
result:

1. the xhost- method did not work. Was not allowed to.

2. using "xauth extract ..... (as below) gave me the
response of: "/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):1: line
too long"

3. finally, trying "ssh root at localhost
/opt/install/./setup", the message was
"/opt/install/./setup: cannot connect to X server"

Are there any other ways around that problem? To be
fair, I am quite surprised as I formerly installed
StarOffice in the same way and was not troubled like
that.

Thanks folks.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk