[Gllug] Looking to buy a new motherboard and processor at Tottenham Court Road.....

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Jun 21 12:11:32 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:13:29PM +0100, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> 21/06/2002 12:00:39 pm, Thom May <thom at positive-
> internet.com> wrote:
>
> >* Colin Murphy (SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk) wrote :
> > .....and I plan to spend something like ?80 - ?120.
> >
> > Are there any motherboards that the Linux user should stay
> > well clear of for a quiet life?
>
> I have a soft spot for Asus mbs as they are solid and
> reliable. A7V series good with Athlon, not kept pace with
> Intel socket mbs. Best to stay away from mbs with built in
> doodads like sound, modems, etc. Brother Steve has had weird
> issues with ATA-100 too. (?)

I would steer clear of built ins if you can though it depends very much
on what you intend to do with it.

http://www.tomshardware.com should have some good reviews of main boards
you might like the look of.  I have not been that happy with Biostar the
board I bought off them 18mths ago is starting to play up a bit.  Abit
do some nice stuff that I have been pleased with and their hardware IDE
RAID is Linux compatable and works pretty neat.  At work we are messing
about with Asus and Abit boards running them at 100% cpu for up to 3 or
4 days at a time without too much trouble.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk