[Gllug] PS2 and VGA

Dave van Zijl dave at applicado.com
Fri Jun 28 22:57:28 UTC 2002

Martin Stevens wrote:
> A quick question, I'm thinking of getting a PS2 but as I don't
> have a TV and don't want to get one, can the PS2 be used with
> a standard VGA monitor, the only way i've seen of doing this is
> with the Linux Kit, which I would buy at the same time.
>
> But can you play playstation games and DVD's on the VGA monitor ?

I have a PS2, but not the Linux kit for it... yet :) I have done a little
reading about it though and as far as I can figure the Linux PS2 system will
NOT run commercial playstation games. Pity.
You have to reboot normally to run them, and then the cable you have for the
monitor won't work. So you can either run Linux with the PS2 on a monitor or
a TV, or play the games just on a TV.

I did see an adapter being advertised to connect the ps2 to a monitor (don't
remember where), but look around and you'll probably have to get that
separately.

Dave

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk