[Gllug] rpms is there an easier way?

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 17 13:28:50 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:03:53PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 14:49, Alain Williams wrote:
>

> > One big problem is if you upgrade something by hand (ftp=>compile=>install),
> > then when RedHat/whoever comes out with the upgraded package 6 months later
> > there are problems doing the upgrade, so you have to maintain it by hand &
> > hey presto you have an albatross.
> >
> Cue Bruce. Cue Stow.
> And.... action!

What you want to do is put your locally-compiled, non-rpm apps in
/usr/local.  If you don't then you will encounter conficts with
whichever package management system you use.

Stow is an application which lets you manage applications in /usr/local,
making it easy to remove and upgrade them by isolating each app in its
own seperate directory tree and creating symlinks to the application in
the main /usr/local directories.  See
http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html and there was a helpful
article about it in Linux Magazine last year, which I really ought to
put online (the article, not the magazine).

But there's a point: Colin, John, LM would benefit from a better online
presence.  Selected articles on the site etc.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk