[Gllug] rpms is there an easier way?

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Jun 17 13:52:33 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:28:50PM +0100, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:03:53PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 14:49, Alain Williams wrote:
> >

> > > One big problem is if you upgrade something by hand (ftp=>compile=>install),
> > > then when RedHat/whoever comes out with the upgraded package 6 months later
> > > there are problems doing the upgrade, so you have to maintain it by hand &
> > > hey presto you have an albatross.
> > >
> > Cue Bruce. Cue Stow.
> > And.... action!
>
> What you want to do is put your locally-compiled, non-rpm apps in
> /usr/local.  If you don't then you will encounter conficts with
> whichever package management system you use.

<snip>

John, how do you do that?

Bruce: how does that work for something that has data files that get
shunted into their own directories (I'm thinking databases atm)? I
guess you configure with something like "--with-datadir=foo/data"?

Cheers,

Simon

--
Darn it, who spiked my coffee with water?!
             -- Larry Wall in <200002141819.KAA18235 at kiev.wall.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk