[Gllug] Digital Cameras

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jun 5 16:28:03 UTC 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >Why are cameras listed in terms of absolute number of pixels and not their
> >resolution?

On the cameras thread, I'm a secret addict of Sky and Telescope
(actually I'm just typing this on an X-terminal in the library, where
I have gone to feed my addiction).

I've never done amateur astronomy in my life, but the magazine nowadays
has articles where it is common to use CCD cameras, and there are
'point and shoot' telescopes which guide themselves to a chosen object
via a computer interface (sorry - there is a term for this) and even
models which use GPS to know where they are. Mmmm....
I guess Linux must be big in this field.

Anyway, can't afford the scope or the CCD,
but I idly wonder whether or not it would be possible to gut a
cheapo digital camera (say like the Jam Cam) to make an telescope
camera?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk