[Gllug] On Linux, fast, it is

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Wed Jun 12 13:26:36 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 02:14:09PM +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:

 > SuSE have already announced support for this processor - but I've not
 > seen or heard anything from other distributors as yet, but I'm sure that
 > they will support the new processor.

I would expect Red Hat, Mandrake etc to be working on x86-64 distros.
(They'd be silly not to, as it'd leave SuSE to clean up in the x86-64
 market).  The only one notably absent so far to the best of my knowledge
is Debian.  I imagine it won't take long for one to end up in their
build system when they're available though 8-)
Although they could cross compile today, and have debian-x86-64 ready
to go whenever it comes out 8-)

 > Also, Micro$oft have announced they're porting XP over to 64-bit X86

Already in a state where it can be used aparently. Not aware if it
takes advantage of all the features yet, it might just be a "it boots"
thing so far from what I can gather from press releases.

 > so I can't see why we won't see
 > other operating systems such as FreeBSD or OpenBSD being ported over as
 > well.

Already in the 'booting' stage..
 http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/x86-64.html
 http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/x86_64/