[Gllug] RBL listed hosts

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 13:42:13 UTC 2002

On 12 Jun 2002, Mark Lowes wrote:

> I generally find there are too many false positives on any of the RBLs
> to set them into reject mode.
mmmm. just discovering that

> You don't specify which RBL these servers are in, there are some out
> there which will be listing these servers because the ISP itself isn't
> handling abuse complaints properly or has poor / incorrect whois data.
rbl_domains = relays.ordb.org : relays.osirusoft.com  :
multihop.dsbl.org/warn : bl.spamcop.net

These were recommended on the exim list and they seem to have a good
balance (except the multihop).  The multihop I have on so have a look and
see if there is anything there I should be blocking manually

> > Do BT know?  Or are they as incompetent as I expect them to be.
>
> Which bit of BT ? :)
Well there would be BT domestic telephone service (installation and
billing), btopenworld (Network engineers, installation, billing and web
site), BT's private circuit engineers and admin - Oh and then there could
be a whole discussion about unbundling ;-)

so just this and that really.

> > Do the large companies with RBL listed hosts ever get round to fixing
> > them?  This is something that I have not been aware of; however I am
> > sure with a few more servers on reject rather than warn they might be
> > convinced :-)
>
> Depends on the nature of the listing and the policy within the company,
> I know some are good, some are bad.
The listings I have seen in spamcop are very good.  They seem to list much
faster, list companies not just with open relays but also those that have
agreements with uunet to send spam.

> > In addition I have to have the multihop RBL in warn otherwise I lose
> > gllug posts :-)
>
> Blocking on multihop RBLs is evil, you'll get horrendous amounts of
> false positives (yes even my core servers end up on those lists
> periodically thanks to stupid users.)

Oh hey I here there is a global glut of 'Stupid users' at present :-)

I have a couple of admins in Spain who everytime they have a problem with
mail getting through the mailserver they make it an open relay.  (I work
in a trouble shooting capacity)

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk