[Gllug] installing dpkg and apt on a non debian system?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Jun 22 23:07:16 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 09:13:14PM +0000, Ian wrote:
> Generally what i was thinking, my mail concern was debian's dependancy
> resolution, is it entirely script based or does it check to see if the
> dependant packege is installed (ie target file exists) against the packages
> list or where it is just there anyway?

dpkg doesn't do file dependencies, it has a database of package states
etc, as does apt.  You could fake it - it's all text files - but I don't
see the point of such artifice unless you really can't be bothered to
recreate the box.  It wouldn't survive prolonged use of apt - you'd
likely fsck your system.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick