[Gllug] Re: Newbie programmer help.....

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 00:05:08 UTC 2002

On Saturday 15 June 2002 10:42 pm, Kevin wrote:
> Yello all.....
>
> I am a fairly literate Java programmer (which is more hobby than
profession), and I'd like to back-engineer myself for some C/C++ Linux
programming, using the GNOME toolkit.
<snip/>

For your situation, I recommend trying C++, for the following reasons:

1.  Your familiarity with Java. You already have the mechanical syntax of C
and C++ down, but you will be more familiar with the OO aspects of C++ like
classes, public/private members, namespaces, new, etc. The C++ compiler is
also fussier than C and has the strict type-safety you're used to with Java.

2.  The fact that you want to do GUI based apps. If you wanted to do low
level kernel stuff, hardware controllers or device drivers then you'd
probably be better off using C.

3.  Most people find C++ easier to learn than C when coming from Java.

CLARIFICATION

There isn't really much meaning in saying "C/C++", because they are different
languages with different design goals, different strengths and weaknesses,
and aimed at different applications.

Although C++ was designed as a superset of C, it is a common misconception
that you have to learn C first. I found it easy going from Java to C++, and
finally to C. This is a natural progression, as you are going from high to
low level.

DISCLAIMER

I'm not particularly against C, or pro C++. This is just my opinion and
advice based on my personal experience and your situation. I'm not in the
slightest bit interested in starting yet another language war, as I don't
care what you program in, as long as it works and you're happy. Go ahead and
use Python if you really must!  :-)

LINKS

I think someone's already mentioned the Bruce Eckel book Thinking in C++.
Just to emphasise, it is a really good starter for learning C++:
   http://www.bruceeckel.com/

There's also Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ site (the guy who invented it):
   http://www.research.att.com/~bs/C++.html

Really good C++ (and other languages) tutorials and programming resources at:
   http://1st-spot.net/topic_cpp.html

Have fun,
luv Jon.

--