[Gllug] Debian on SPARC 64bit

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 08:52:37 UTC 2002

I've got the possibility of looking after a SPARC 64-bit server and
ideally I'd like to have Debian on it for ease of maintenance. I've had
a look at the Debian SPARC-64 pages and it seems that it is kind of
working but maybe not too stable/complete.

Has anyone had experience of running this? - I've only ever used x86
processor machines.
I guess the main problems will arise if you're compiling your own
software on it plus maybe a restricted selection of deb packages.

Might I be better off with Solaris even though I'd rather avoid it
(being non-free and never having used it before)?

--
Paul

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">***********************************************************************
Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk