[Gllug] re blueyonder

Janet Reid lucychili at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 14:08:16 UTC 2002

--- Allen Wayne <Wayne.Allen at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Is this common considering I have just ordered a
> telewest phoneline with
> blue yonder

imho:
the phone works fine - it was cut off at one point but
was reconnected promptly after we got through to them*
something about a fritzed box on the roof of our
block.

it is a good web connection when it is working.
i have succesfully done some chunky ftp stuff with no
trouble.
it has sometimes had proxy issues and recently there
was some odd dns stuff.
the web connection was out the other day for an area
around 1sqkm near kings cross station - not convenient
as kim was working from home at the time.
kim has had a linux firewall set up with our network
behind it which worked fine - we are between working
firewalls atm but that is me learning about debian and
reluctant/old hardware stuff.
we have had trouble adding additional mac addresses to
the list of connections allowed on the BY site - have
not had that work yet.

my mail issue could be due to our not yet sorting out
the right way to set up mozilla but we have had a good
try - we havent called about this so they havent had a
chance to respond to it. i do not like the cut down ms
outlook express webmail client they have - no way to
capture email addresses and i could create an email
alias but could find a way to edit my from address so
that the alias was used when i sent mail.

*their phone system has some nasty catch 22 loops in
it where you can end up back where you started in a
menu system with no human in sight/sound.
the responses when you reach a person have been useful
and prompt.

they seem to send their reminder notices out faster
than their bills which is a bit disconcerting.
ie the account overdue arrives before the account due.

overall feeling - some oddness but nothing as nasty as
getting an NI number =)).

kim - post if ive got anything wrong! =)

hope this is useful - janet

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk