[Gllug] Acceptable HTML

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Jun 17 09:37:35 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 04:39:58PM +0900, BABA Yoshihiko wrote:
> Sorry for off topic.
>
> Simon Stewart <sms at lateral.net> wrote:
> > ... though the Japanese must be the most stupid people... I'm sure I
>
> It seems a random quote, but why are you using such a racial
> one?

It is a random one, you're right. Apologies if it caused offense, it
honestly wasn't meant to. Why do I have it in my sig file? Because I
like word play (puns especially) and sometimes something that appeals
to my sense of humour isn't terribly tasteful. I thought that members
of this group might appreciate that aspect of the sig and didn't
really consider the words themselves, which is why I let it go
out. It'd have the same meaning if I paraphrased it as:

"... though Londoners must be the most stupid people... I'm sure I
read somewhere that London has the densest population in the UK..."

which is possibly a little less inflamatory.

Occasionally, I wonder if following Jim's example isn't wisest. AFAIK,
he has a stash of quotes and picks a suitable one. OTOH, the
randomness is nice, because sometimes the sigmonster pulls out
something apt.

Regards,

Simon

--
A witty saying means nothing.  -Voltaire

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk