[Gllug] Kernel source on Red Hat

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Wed Jun 5 17:13:33 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 06:46:20PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:

 > BTW, I'm interested in UML from the point of view of running jobs
 > on machines in different centres - which might have installs with
 > different versions of libraries etc.

*nod*, the number of uses for UML seem never ending.
Compartmentising (is that a word? it is now) shell servers and the likes
seems to be quite a popular train of thought.  Larry McVoy has some
interesting clustering ideas which revolve around multiple UML instances
as a way of scaling to boxes with silly number of CPUs. Countless
kernel hackers use it as a debugging/prototyping tool. Probably there
are a few other fun things to do with it too.

It's definitly one of the neatest hacks we've seen in Linux for a few years.

 > It would be easier to sell this if 'stock' kernels came with
 > UML built-in.
 > People always seem to be wary of things not included in the stock
 > distro kernels, I'm afraid.

As UML matures, I wouldn't be surprised to see more distros shipping it
as an option during installation. Especially in years to come when
systems with lots of CPUs get cheaper and cheaper.

        Dave
--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk