[Gllug] Kernel source on Red Hat

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 5 17:29:30 UTC 2002

> From: gllug-admin at linux.co.uk [mailto:gllug-admin at linux.co.uk]On Behalf
> Of Dave Jones
[...]
> As UML matures, I wouldn't be surprised to see more distros shipping it
> as an option during installation. Especially in years to come when
> systems with lots of CPUs get cheaper and cheaper.

On that note; how does UML perform? I think I read something along the lines
of slow disc performance and I expect that scheduling must be an interesting
problem. Is there a way to give UML kernels direct access to some hardware
(in the same manner that some clusters can share a disc perhaps)?

Is there a way to force a process to remain on one CPU, or even to dedicate
a CPU to a process in an SMP environment? I wonder about these things now
that there are at least two vendors (HP + IBM) I know who have, or soon will
have, released multi-core chips. Isn't one of AMD's next gen chips supposed
to be multi-cored? I think it's the one that sounds like a Transformer...

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk