[Gllug] New to UK - ISP recommendations

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 13:07:58 UTC 2002

> I've just arrived in the UK and have absolutely no
> clue as to which of the numerous ISP's is good for
> a flat-rate dialup account (Linux friendly of course).
> Your suggestions would be welcome!  I'm looking for
> an 080... dialup with a fixed monthly fee, reliable
> service (duh) and clued-up support desk (if there's
> actually such a thing?).

ADSL is pretty cheap and readily available now (as low as 21 UKP a
month) and you can get monthly contracts so it might be worth
considering instead. Comes down a normal BT phoneline as well so you
don't need any special equipment except for a ADSL modem and a
analog/digital splitter for the phone line (over 100 UKP).

A normal fixed rate dial-up isn't going to be much cheaper and of course
it'll be a lot slower.

Unless you have some other reasons why this isn't an option (e.g. ADSL
not available in you area), I'd say go for this. e.g. www.plus.net (this
is what I'm on at home)

Paul.

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">***********************************************************************
Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk