[Gllug] writing drivers

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sun Jun 23 19:52:53 UTC 2002

In the improbable onward march of my cross-platform development efforts; I'm
looking for ways to make a REALLY basic driver for a REALLY basic device.

The device: a box with a couple of buttons on it. At the moment it's a
hacked up mouse in a box. Rocket science it's not. Effective it is. (I
wonder if Yoda needs a new speech writer?). But I'm not happy. I want to
create a device that uses the same hack that allows USB mice with an adapter
to plug into a PS/2 port. I don't think this is so much to ask. I want to
see if it's possible to use very common code and a common device across the
broadest range of OSes and equipment as possible. I chant the build once,
run everywhere mantra - I'm lazy (I was so pleased to read that's a virtue
for programmers).

I'd like to find a cross-platform driver development kit. All of the usual
things like (L)GPL etc preferred.

Google gives me nothing but grief. The only think I could find there was
Jungo's WinDriver thingy (not free, not open, etc).

Any and all suggestions welcome. After the comparative success of finding
wxWindows for the GUI and SDL for media, I was hoping that some lovely
person had already attacked this problem with some resolve...

Richard

--

	it is electricity connected to itself, if it hath wires
	it is a vast Spiderweb

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk