[Gllug] New to UK - ISP recommendations

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Jun 20 15:03:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 03:36:07PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>
> > Just sent a message to plus.net regarding their linux support, and
> > availability in my area. I got a response from a "Chris Smith, Costomer
> > Support" (got something to confess smithy?) that had this to say:
> >
> >       "Yes we are Linux freindly, with no direct support given, but all
> >       of our +systems run on Unix & Linux (no MS)"
>
> Like do most ISPs. I wonder, if we should have an 'adopt an ISP' campaign ?
> When each of us has connected to the ISP, we could document what we did,
> give example config files, ... and give it to the ISP to put up on their
> FAQ page -- totally unsupported, etc. It is to their advantage as well
> as for Linux.

I've thought this for ages...

I saw it as a database - a little like the Linux-USB database pointed at a
couple of weeks back - where anyone who'd successfully connected could
upload their PPP settings, ADSL settings, DHCP, things like that.  Quite a
few ISPs have something like that for themselves, some unsupported, some on
a customer's page, etc., and almost all now have the basic data (phone
number, DNS, etc.) you need to connect.

The follow-up, of course, is a client which goes out, downloads the settings
from linnuxispsettings.org, asks for your l/p and logs you in - working
first time, every time.

Oh, and there's no particular reason to limit it to the UK or anything like
that...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk