[Gllug] Digital Cameras

French, Alastair Alastair.French at racalinst.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 13:24:27 UTC 2002

I have the Olympus C2000Z. I have not tried it with gphoto, but it looks
like it should be supported. It has serial port control, I think the next
model up is USB.

It is a 2M pixel device with 3x optical zoom. I have turned off the screen
for most of the time and am still using the supplied batteries. The camera
has a LCD on the top for setup functions etc just like a traditional
compact.

The data storage is on a Smartmedia card (16MB supplied, not 8MB as on
Olympus web page). This can be used in a USB reader or use the serial cable
supplied. This could be very slow though..

The important but, I paid 149 +VAT for it from morgan computers. I had to
take the first on back due to a scratch on the view finder that you could
not see close up but refracted the light when you were a few inches away.
The guys at the Greenford warehouse were most helpful.

They are reconditioned but backed by a full 12months warranty. They are also
discontinued models though.

There a good range on morgan at present at some good prices. The C-2 is the
UK equivilant of the US D230 (selling in Dixons at 200 now) but on morgan
152.

My preference is for a manufacture that makes cameras already, i.e avoid
Packard Bell, Samsung etc as the optics may not be very good

Hope this has been of some help.

Alastair

On Wednesday, June 05, 2002 11:07 AM, Richard Cottrill
[SMTP:richard_c at tpg.com.au] wrote:
> Sorry if this arrives twice, I've had some mail weirdness over the weekend
> (not limited to GLLUG).
>
> Richard
>

> Hi peoples,
>
> I'm toying with buying a digital camera. What sorts of things do I need to
> look for to ensure I can use them with Linux? Are there some open
standards
> that describe camera/PC interaction? The thing I'm most worried about is
> uploading/downloading/deleting pictures on the media (Smart Media, Compact
> Flash, etc) or internal memory (God forbid). It would be ideal if I could
> use the camera as a media reader or just use some generic media interface
> my PC (e.g.: a USB multi format reader).
>
> I'm already pretty leery about Sony and Memory Sticks; is this rational?
I'm
> tending towards a Canon or Olympus compact - any recommendations?
>
> Where are places to go for further info? I've had a look at the gPhoto
page;
> is there anywhere else I should be checking?
>
> A whole bunch of questions - any and all answers/comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> --
>
> 	it is electricity connected to itself, if it hath wires
> 	it is a vast Spiderweb
> 	and I am on the last millionth infinite tentacle of the spiderweb, a
> worrier
> 	lost, separated, a worm, a thought, a self...
>
> From "Lysergic Acid" by Allen Ginsberg
>

> --

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform RACAL INSTRUMENTS LTD. immediately by phoning +44 (0)1628 604455 (ask for the I.T. dept) and delete it and all copies from your system.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk