[Gllug] Kernel source on Red Hat

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Wed Jun 5 17:49:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 06:29:30PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:

 > On that note; how does UML perform? I think I read something along the lines
 > of slow disc performance and I expect that scheduling must be an interesting
 > problem. Is there a way to give UML kernels direct access to some hardware
 > (in the same manner that some clusters can share a disc perhaps)?

I've not tried it myself, but I've seen people using it, and it seems to
run at native speed. I'd have a hard time guessing I was ssh'd into
a UML instance vs a 'regular' shell.

 > Is there a way to force a process to remain on one CPU, or even to dedicate
 > a CPU to a process in an SMP environment?

There are patches available somewhere at ftp://ftp.uk.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/
which does just that. There's also the 'bind interrupt handler to CPU'
feature in /proc/irq/affinity iirc. It's documented in the kernel source
Documentation directory.

 > Isn't one of AMD's next gen chips supposed
 > to be multi-cored? I think it's the one that sounds like a Transformer...

There's nothing mentioned in the architecture spec at http://www.x86-64.org

        Dave

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk