[Gllug] installing dpkg and apt on a non debian system?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Jun 22 14:49:56 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:22:17AM +0000, Ian wrote:
> Hi, one of my firewalls (once could be called a mandrake 7 system) is getting
> on a bit, its as uptodate as i can, (ive compiled and installed crap, and not
> used rpm for yonks) however as its my only 'non debian' box i was wondering
> about exposing it to the wonders of apt and dpkg,
>
> yes it could be a whole lot quicker to just bung in the potoato cd and dist
> upgrade to sid, but could i just bung in a dpkg system?

No.  You can't just turn one distribution into another, even whem they
are both rpm based.  Your best course would be to build another box with
Debian on it, duplicate the config as closely as you can and then swap
them over.  That way you can always plug the old box back in if you got
it wrong.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.