[Gllug] emacs backups

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 08:34:43 UTC 2002

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, SteveC stated:
> without parsing the massive FAQs and lisp guides,

Is `C-h i i backup' *really* so hard?

The info pages have indexes for a reason! (And if it's not found in
there, `s backup' would have found it in a few seconds more.)

> how can I just turn off emacs ~ backup creation in ~/.emacs?

You don't want to (the backup files are frequently useful when you screw
up; they're saved once per file *load*, not once per save, so they're a
good `what this looked like before Emacs got at it' snapshot).

Try

(setq backup-inhibited t)

This is available via a pointy-clicky interface in Customize (M-x
customize), in the menus.

--
`Frankly I wonder whether you are not writing your posts from underneath a
 bridge.' --- Jason Clifford, to a particularly dense troll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk