[Gllug] Sendmail + SuSE 7.3

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 15 09:41:21 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 00:12, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 23:34, Dave Cridland wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 12:39, an unknown sender wrote:
> > > I get is kellyh@ also SuSE had an article on their website telling me
> > > all I had to do was edit /etc/mail/genericstable, and then makemap...
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> > I suggest taking a stock /etc/sendmail.cf, and editing it quickly.
>
> This is unspeakably *evil*.
>
> Do not edit your sendmail.cf if it's at all possible to avoid. Eric
> Allman has been quoted as saying that sendmail.cf should be treated as a
> binary file. It's far easier to generate it from the mc file. To add
> genericstable support to your sendmail configuration, you only need one
> line on an mc file:-

Personally, I find it easier to edit the cf file by far. :-)

Then again, I find that some of the features don't do what I need a lot
of the time anyway, on those occasions when I need to tamper with the cf
at all. virtusertable springs to mind, for instance - I tend to rework
that a fair amount for plenty of cases.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk