[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Mar 25 11:37:35 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:44:50PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 11:26:03AM +0000, Robert wrote:
> >
> > sftp execv()'s ssh in order to make the connection. You can specify
> > arguments to pass to ssh via the -o option. I think
> > -oIdentiyFile=/path/to/identity is what you want.
>
> That would work, but I'm puzzled that he should need it.  When I've used
> it sftp has always followed the ssh authentication method exactly, using
> key-based identification first if it is set up, finding the right id
> file automatically etc.  Just tested sftp-ing to a host where the account
> password is disabled and it worked fine.

Because it's not one of the identities that I use on a day to day
basis, and so store the private key away from my personal keys. For
SSH, it's no biggie to just add the "-i" line with the path to the
identity file.

Yes, I know that it's not the neatest way of doing things. ;)

Cheers,

Simon

--
"We were informed that the user interface was exactly the same as being at
 the desktop, but using our visual senses we detected a somewhat different

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk