[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Mar 24 14:44:50 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 11:26:03AM +0000, Robert wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Simon Stewart wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 03:04:31PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > >
> > > No.  You authenticate the same way with both scp and sftp.  The
> >
> > Not entirely true, as I found out once when I had to sftp to a box
> > that only allowed key based logins (ie. didn't allow password based
> > logins)
> >
> > Of course, if you know how to get sftp to use the "-i" flag from ssh
> > then I'd be interested in hearing how....
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Simon
>
> sftp execv()'s ssh in order to make the connection. You can specify
> arguments to pass to ssh via the -o option. I think
> -oIdentiyFile=/path/to/identity is what you want.

That would work, but I'm puzzled that he should need it.  When I've used
it sftp has always followed the ssh authentication method exactly, using
key-based identification first if it is set up, finding the right id
file automatically etc.  Just tested sftp-ing to a host where the account
password is disabled and it worked fine.

Mind you, I hadn't configured any subsystem, just given a path.  Maybe
it behaves differently when accessing a subsystem through sftp-server -
though I'd be surprised.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill