[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 20 16:20:51 UTC 2002

On 20/03/02, 16:10:14, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] scp / sftp comparison :

> > There has to be an account on the remote machine but it can
> > be locked.
> > Your PAM settings can affect this.

> I'm a bit confused here - I've got an entry in /etc/passwd on the remote
> machine but the shell is set to /bin/false (is this what you mean by a
> locked account?).
> This seems to make scp fail until I set the shell back to /bin/bash.
> Maybe I need /bin/true or something ?(seem to remember this thread from
> a while ago)

> The other posts seem to range from I definitely do need a shell to I
> definitely don't ;)

Scp itself does not require that the account have a functioning shell.
But ssh (and therefore scp) as compiled for Debian takes PAM
configuration settings and these may require (amongst other things) that
you have a shell that is listed in /etc/shells.  Adding /bin/false to
/etc/shells would solve your problem, though some would say that is not
an ideal solution.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk