[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 16:10:14 UTC 2002

> There has to be an account on the remote machine but it can
> be locked.
> Your PAM settings can affect this.

I'm a bit confused here - I've got an entry in /etc/passwd on the remote
machine but the shell is set to /bin/false (is this what you mean by a
locked account?).
This seems to make scp fail until I set the shell back to /bin/bash.
Maybe I need /bin/true or something ?(seem to remember this thread from
a while ago)

The other posts seem to range from I definitely do need a shell to I
definitely don't ;)

But if someone is running it fine without a remote shell I guess it must
be possible.

Paul.

Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk