[Gllug] Wireless networking

Simon Wilcox simonw at simonwilcox.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 15:38:26 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> I have a laptop (Win2k & Linux) and a small network of desktop machines
> (Various Windows + Linux) at home.

Sounds like my house :-)

>                      I had a look at which cards seem to work under
> linux but I wondered if anyone had any personal recomendations? Any
> pitfalls that I may come across in setting this up or pointer to good
> sources of info?

I can vouch for the Buffalo Airstation card as I use it myself. It wasn't
too tricky to set up, it pretty much Just Works[tm] but I did need to
tweak it out of Ad-Hoc mode and into Managed mode for the network I was
connecting to (DedRat 7.1) on a Sony Vaio laptop.

In your situation, if just want to use two cards to connect 2 PCs, ad-hoc
is probably what you want anyway. Just grab a pair of PCMCIA cards and a
PCMCIA/PCI card for your PC and you're off.

Don't forget to enable all the security features !

HTH,

Simon.

--
"Earthman, the planet you inhabited was commissioned, paid for and run
 by the mice"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk