[Gllug] [OT] Hosted webmail services

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 15:15:28 UTC 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 14:30, you wrote:
> This is off topic but I hope that any solution would run on linux
> :-)
>
> I have a client looking for a webmail service, branded to their
> requirements, for approximately 100,000 users.
>
> We're not looking for a free service but we do need a decent user
> interface, reasonable feature set and guaranteed SLA's for which we
> will happily pay to avoid hosting it ourselves.
>
> If anyone knows of such a service, please let me know.
>
> Simon.
Have a look at www.horde.org. A set of free (GPL) php scripts and
libraries that implement a web based email and portal service. Some
is still under development but I have just succesfully installed
Horde + IMP + Turba which gives a nice web-based interface to any
imap/pop3 server. It is very configurable and customisable. I can't
program php to save my life and I got it working nicely with the work
(WU-IMAP + Postfix) email server. The addressbook interfaces to
bigfoot and other's and also allows you to talk to your own ldap or
sql servers to set up an address database. Very nifty. There is a
demo site at

http://demo.horde.org/stable/horde/imp/

Hope this is what you're after...
Steve