[Gllug] Wireless Networking (fwd)

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 15:38:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> At 14:51 25/03/02 +0000, you wrote:
> >>.. i dont want to set up a node, just to connect via a PCMCIA card
> >>to the network...
> >
> >You have answered your own question :-) Just insert a PCMCIA card and
> >the drivers/software that will come with it for your system and look
> >for your local network. No special settings, passwords etc needed.
>
> So if I just buy a PCMCIA wireless network card then I can just expect the
> linux drivers to come with it?  I don't think so!

 Basically if you have the pcmcia package running on your laptop, you
have the drivers for the mentioned cards, then you need a package called

 wireless-tools,

 to pass the cards the settings, iwconfig is the wireless equivalent of
 ifconfig.

 Check www.consume.net, www.freenetworks.org

> >>any reccomendations of cards, too?
> >
> >The Buffalo/Lucent/Orinoco/Agere ones seem to be most popular (they
> >are all the same cards with different badges)
>
> Do they all work OK in Linux, it seems from the above paragraph that you
> forgot that I wanted to configure it to work in linux.

  Yes they do. The email was forwarded from the consume list without
modification.

            Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk