[Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 11:00:31 UTC 2002

> Swap is the only unproblematic one.  You certainly couldn't
> share /usr or
> /var

I managed to get the triple-boot working OK without too much hassle.
Though I'm afraid I did wimp out when it came to sharing partitions
between Debian and RedHat (except for the swap partition.)

In case anyone's interested this was how I did it:
1) clear the master boot record (MBR) by writing /dev/zeroes to it
2) give debian and redhat a small (50MB) /boot partition each at the
start of the disk.
3) install Win 2000 first.
4) install RedHat and put its lilo in the MBR.
5) install Debian and put its lilo in its /boot partition.
6) configure RedHat's lilo to either boot any of my RedHat kernels or
else jump to the Win or Debian boot partitions.

I'm not totally sure if Debian actually needs a lilo of its own at all
but it works.
The other thing is if I compile another Debian kernel would it go in the
main RedHat lilo or in Debian's lilo? So I'd have a set of nested lilo
menus in a sense.

Next thing is to get my graphics card working with Debian -
unfortunately it's a NVidia GeForce 2 so I think I may end up upgrading
to woody. I understand it's possible to just upgrade the X but it looks
a bit complicated.

Paul.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk