[Gllug] Document Distribution App?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Mar 12 13:38:05 UTC 2002

On Tue 12 Mar, Sean Burlington bloviated thus:

> thing is it probably does exist on your system - no system building required

Not quite but only an apt-get away...

> I spent a while trying to figure out all this webdav stuff
>
> turned out all I needed to do is configure
> <Location /webdav>
>  Dav On
> </Location>
>
> in apache conf

Hmmm you're right, it works brilliantly!

> then access localhost/webdav/ using a dav client
> I used the java DAVExplorer - but M$ Office can use DAV which may be readily
> available to you.

Works straight away on this Win2k machine.  You use File->Open and
tick "Open as Web Folder" from IE.

> as I remember it the password required is based on the underlying filesystem
> permissions - so user/group should be OK - But I guess Paul was hinting at a
> more advanced way of doing this (eg ssl isn't required but is an easy extra
> layer of security)

Underlying web server permissions.  The entire tree needs to be
accessible by Apache.  So basically, if I set up a script to do
htpasswd type stuff, it should just work <tm>.  Cool, will check it out.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor
and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect
each from the other.
- Politicians and Other Scoundrels by Ferdinand Lundberg

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk