[Gllug] Killing processes on Solaris [OTish]

Ian Scott ian.scott at mediasurface.com
Fri Mar 22 10:00:37 UTC 2002

This is a bit OT, but I wonder if anyone can help me with it.

I had a perl process running on a Solaris box which refuses to die
(kill -9 as root doesn't moan, but the process lives on).

ps shows it as sleeping.

The IT blokes here say the only way is to reboot the box, but
I don't like that as an answer to a unix problem - you expect it
with Windoze, but unix can usually do things properly.

The perl script I'm running does shell out to call system commands
- I don't know whether the problem could have occured when it was doing
that - but I have no other processes running.

Any thoughts?

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk