[Gllug] Killing processes on Solaris [OTish]

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Mar 22 09:30:44 UTC 2002

At 10:00 22/03/02 GMT, you wrote:
>This is a bit OT, but I wonder if anyone can help me with it.
>
>I had a perl process running on a Solaris box which refuses to die
>(kill -9 as root doesn't moan, but the process lives on).
>
>ps shows it as sleeping.
>
>The IT blokes here say the only way is to reboot the box, but
>I don't like that as an answer to a unix problem - you expect it
>with Windoze, but unix can usually do things properly.

I remember having a problem with zombie process processes in FreeBSD once.
We couldn't kill them either and had to reboot.  We eventually worked out
that a process was spawning child processes and then ignoring SIG_CHILD
messages which ment that when the children died they stuck there as
zombies.  Killing the parent worked and we eventually fixed the program too.
Entirely unhelpful to your current problem I suspect.

>The perl script I'm running does shell out to call system commands
>- I don't know whether the problem could have occured when it was doing
>that - but I have no other processes running.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Ian

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service