[Gllug] Signing everything?

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 20 12:23:17 UTC 2002

Say what you mean, and mean what you say :)

Glib comments aside I think that anyone suing for incorrect information
given in a LUG would be working VERY hard in court. A defamation suit would
get further in Australia (guilt is presumed), and perhaps here in the UK
too. As you've already alluded, even moderate forensic work will probably
find a pretty clear trail to your email unless you're very careful.

- Disclaimer: what follows is even more speculative than my usual. I expect
clarifications and outright criticism for questionable statements of fact.
This is security stuff and I want to figure out if my beliefs are based on
fact, or misunderstanding.

OTOH a private signature is more trustworthy the more it's identified with
its owner, hence so long as the private key is used to sign a 'working' key
(basically acting like a mini CA) then the private key's security is only
enhanced by using it as often as possible, and distributing it far and wide
(well a signature rather than the key itself obviously).

If the 'working' key that's used for day-to-day email is changed regularly
then the mail is secure, and so long as the 'root' private key doesn't
change then the system is secure, and the body of signed, trustworthy
documents makes it MUCH harder to forge, replace, or otherwise breach the
security of Alice or Bob, or whoever.

I'm trying to get my act together and set-up a system such as this, but I
find openssl is not the easiest thing to get my head around...

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk