[Gllug] grub on RH7.2 (2.4.7)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Mar 1 14:11:48 UTC 2002

On 3/1/02, 1:25:48 PM, Simon Stewart <sms at lateral.net> wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] grub on RH7.2 (2.4.7):

> I've used it with the Radeon without any real problems. Though I
> suppose that's a "next-gen" card compared with what'll prolly be in a
> mobile.

Laptops with ATI usually have the Mobility Pro, which definitely has a
buggy bios.

> Any more to it than "ATI vesa bios is broken"?

You get loads of pretty colours on your screen while the machine locks
solid, IME.  You can't use the generic vesafb device with ATI cards (that
I have tried), there's a special atyfb device to cope with the
brokenness, accompanied with dire warnings and general carping by the
developers.  All of which may have been fixed for newer cards.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk